“I’m newly engaged. Can engagement rings be worn all the time?”
- Can engagement rings be worn all the time? It’s perfectly safe to wear your engagement ring every single day. However, there are a few activities that could cause damage to your ring.
- Remove your ring before showering or washing your hands. The last thing you want is your engagement ring slipping off your hand and falling down the drain! Some harsh soaps could also tarnish the metal, depending on the type.
- Remove your ring before you go to the gym. Your diamond or gemstone can become chipped or loosened by the heavy-duty activities that you will perform at the gym.
- Remove your ring before you clean your home. Banging your jewelry against hard surfaces while you are cleaning may scratch or chip your diamond or gemstone. Some harsh cleaners could also tarnish the metal.
- Remove your ring before doing laundry. Diamonds or gemstones may catch on loose fabric strands, loosening the stones over time.
Whether you’re newly engaged or newly married, it’s natural to want to know how to take care of your engagement ring. You want to keep it as shiny and stunning as the day you got it. So then, can engagement rings be worn all the time? Or will you have to take it off every time you wash a dish, clean the sink, or put on lotion? Let’s talk more about it!
In case you’re new to this blog series, we’re a team of master jewelers based in Colorado Springs. We’re engagement ring specialists, and we love educating people about diamond and gemstone jewelry. In this post, we’ll answer this age-old question once and for all: can engagement rings be worn all the time? We’ll even tell you how you can get your engagement ring restored if it has already been damaged, dirtied, or tarnished!
Can engagement rings be worn all the time? Or do they need to be removed frequently?
Let’s set the record straight: engagement rings are meant to be enjoyed, and it is perfectly safe to wear them every single day. Your ring is sturdy, so you don’t need to treat it like it’s a delicate piece of glass décor. However, if you want to extend the look and lifespan of your engagement ring, then it is wise to remove your ring before you perform “high-risk” activities.
These activities could include:
- Showering and washing your hands. Some harsh soaps could tarnish the metal, depending on the type of band. But even if you don’t use harsh soaps, you still run the risk of your ring slipping off your finger. The last thing you want to do is loose your precious ring down the drain!
- Working out at the gym. If you work out with weights, then you could scratch or chip your ring against metal gym equipment. Not only that, but your rings become moist with sweat while you exercise. You wouldn’t want your engagement ring flying off your finger while you’re running on the treadmill!
- Cleaning your harm. Harsh chemicals could tarnish the metal. Of course, this is not the only risk, however. You could damage your stone while scrubbing! Banging your ring against hard surfaces is never a good idea, so don’t risk scratching your ring while you’re scrubbing!
- Doing laundry. This one is rarely ever talked about. When you’re doing laundry, you run the risk of catching your ring no loose threads and loosening your diamonds or gemstones.
Speak with an engagement ring specialist today about your ring!
Like we mentioned previously, we’re a team of engagement ring specialists based in Colorado Springs. If you want more information on how to keep your engagement ring gorgeous for years to come, then speak with one of our master jewelers today! You can also speak with them about getting a brand-new ring to replace an old or lost ring if you would like!
Has your engagement ring already been damaged? We also offer engagement ring repair services in Colorado Springs!